How to Get Free Money for College 2018, Knowing the Sources and Tips - You are probably doing a research about how to get free money for college 2018, believed to help you hone your skills in your next path of life. Most people want to go to college because it will set up the foundation for better opportunity in career. When you are better educated, your chances to get better job will be bigger too.
However, college is costly – I can tell you that. Most people don’t have the options besides getting involved in the student loan and trying to repay it back – a process that can take a lifetime to complete.
If you are smart and you have a lot of achievements and accomplishment, then you know that there are always other options. And with these options, you won’t have to get involved with debts or whatsoever. And in the end, you don’t have to spend the rest of your life trying to repay it.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Get Free Money for College 2018, Knowing the Sources and Tips
- 1.1 Finding Help and Assistance in the Financial Department
- 1.2 Alternative Ways to Get the Free College Money
- 1.3 Guardian or Parental Employers
- 1.4 Civic and Community Organizations
- 1.5 Minority and Protected Groups
- 1.6 Scholarships and Grants
- 1.7 Related
How to Get Free Money for College 2018, Knowing the Sources and Tips
Finding Help and Assistance in the Financial Department
The deal with free money for college isn’t as easy as it sounds but it isn’t complicated either. You just have to know your way in and everything will be just fine. Whereas most people are thinking about scholarships or grants in how to get free money for college 2018, there are actually other options that you can consider.
Most institutions are still offering their own scholarships and grants simply because they have allocated the funds. In most cases, most institutions generally have prepared their own funds allocation on yearly basis.
When the students, who are supposed to take the financial aid, got accepted elsewhere, naturally, the money won’t be used. And the institutions are still reserving the money for other students or they are reallocating the funds elsewhere.
When you are looking for scholarships or grants, it is advisable that you do it early – as early as the year. Some places may have opened applications from January – this is the common case with federal financial aid. For institutions, they usually open the time of application from May to June.
How To Get Free Scholarship Money For College 2018
It is possible that some institutions are operating in autumn, but it depends on them and their policies. If you are late with the applications and others, you can always try private institutions – yes, they also offer scholarships and grants although the process may be harder and tougher.
But if you have achieved a lot and you are considered a potential student, they may ask you to join them while giving you the aid that you need.
Moreover, it would be wise if you can try the FAFSA or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, which is open all year long. This program is included as the government’s financial aid program and it comes in various types of grants.
In the event that you are included in the late admission, you’d better attend the freshmen orientation program at school so you know what to expect when taking care of the aid – and also the proper way to deal with the staff.
Alternative Ways to Get the Free College Money
Besides the grants and scholarships, there are several possible alternatives to try to get the money – and all of them are legit and legal. No, you won’t have to deal with returning the money or either complicated arrangement that can make your future go bleak. Unfortunately, these are the methods that are often neglected by people, but you know better, right?
Guardian or Parental Employers
The first one is to try the guardian or parental employers. This kind of offer may not be available in a mass or large scale but you can find them in big corporations or nonprofit organizations. Who knows? If you are lucky, you should be able to get this option and receive the financial assistance.
If your parents are working in such a field, then you should ask because the companies usually offer this program to their employees and the employees’ dependents.
This is the fact that most people don’t know about. This kind of program is generally provided by companies by allocating around 5% of the funds for academic usage. The funds will be definitely used in one of the academic year although it doesn’t always mean that they are all spent.
Mostly, there is always remaining money left for others although it is also possible that the allocated funds will be used completely. It depends on the needs of those needing the money. If you want to know whether your parents’ office or company does have the program, you can always ask the human resource department – they usually have the information for the assistance.
Civic and Community Organizations
There are other ways on how to get free money for college 2018, which comes from the local setting. This is the kind of financial aid that is created and managed by the local communities, including fraternal and civic organizations.
Just like other organizations, they also provide an annual allocation for financial aid (including for education). Unfortunately, not everyone knows about it. In fact, the managers of the organizations claim that they don’t have enough applicants so the money isn’t used at all.
Keep in mind, though, that the money provided by these kinds of organizations aren’t much. In most cases, they are probably offering $2,500 to $5,000 but it makes a difference.
When you have the money, no matter how small or big, you can decide whether you want to go to the first or second choice of school. With money in hands, you know that there is a good starting point. It gives you, at least, the chance to start somewhere.
You can figure out the rest later. A friend of mine managed to get several helps from the local community organizations. These organizations were supporting her and helping her to get started.
From the church, community, and others, they provided the funds for her and what do you know? She ended up having $30,000 from those collected money, providing her with a fresh start for her higher education.
Minority and Protected Groups
There are organizations for minorities, like students of specific ethnic and cultural descent, gender specific organizations, students with disabilities, and such thing alike.
The organizations are also available for military veterans’ descendants or children, students raised in wards or shelters of the state, or foster kids.
You may not know this, but these organizations also provide funds and financial help for those specific groups. If you ask to the right direction, you should be able to find the right source of money that won’t require you to pay them back.
In the overall retrospect, you don’t necessarily have to be super bright or genius to get the access to the financial help. However, it would help if you can maintain a good grade. It would be even help if you have a certain achievement. If you are bright with tons of achievement, then it is most likely that you shouldn’t have any problems getting the financial aid that you want.
Scholarships and Grants
When we are talking about scholarships and also grants, we often think that they are the same. Although they share the similarity of providing financial assistance to those who need it, their basic principle is different. Sure, you may not need to repay the money, but it would help to know the two differences so you know what to expect.
A scholarship is given based on the recipient’s merit (athletic or academic performance, or such thing alike) as well as some special trait (background, family, etc). The source of scholarships can come from various sources, such as institutions, government, organizations, and others.
The grant, on the other hand, is given on the recipient’s needs (such as financial, etc) and usually comes from state or federal financial aid. Both of them have their own requirements, like GPA and other achievements, but it depends on the giver’s policies.
There are different kinds of grants that you can try to get the free money:
- Federal grant. If the students have financial problems, they are mostly considered eligible for the federal grant. The nature of this grant is quite competitive so you should perform a thorough research and make sure to do it on time – it is a big thing for them. Besides having to fill in the FAFSA, you will have to provide your financial info honestly. There are so many different programs available out there although Pell Grant is the most popular one. In general, you don’t have to repay the grant. However, if you violate the terms, you may be required to repay the financial help. So make sure that you understand the terms completely.
- State grant. Federal grant applies nationally so it covers the whole nation. State grant, on the other hand, only applies on the state coverage. If you want to check the requirements, check each state’s policies because one state will be different from one another. This kind of grant will be based on needs or merits. To get the grant, the state administrator will access the FAFSA info, determining how much money you need.
- Athletic scholarship. If you have excellent physical performance and abilities, getting this kind of scholarship will definitely help. However, you will need to have a strong will to balance study, lectures, and also sports. It is going to be hard and tiring – and you will have to be strong enough to pull it through. But this is a worthy financial assistance that you can try if you know that your physical excellence is above average.
- Talent grants. If you have certain skills or abilities – and not just about sports or athletic – there are other financial help to help. If you are great in music, journalism, drama, debate, or speech, you should look around. You can be sure that there are talent grants that can help you with college financial management. You will have to decide to which college to go and then check with their financial assistance office to see whether they have such a grant. If they have, you can check for requirements and try to apply.
Handy Tips to Get Prepared
If you are determined that you will continue your education ONLY if you can get free money (mostly because you don’t want to deal with any student loan or whatsoever), knowing how to get free money for college 2018 can seriously help.
It would be even better if you can prepare everything from the beginning because it gives you the opportunity to learn about the situation. While you are still in high school, it would be better to get a complete information about everything.
Among other things included in the methods of how to get free money for college 2018, some of the methods are:
- It would be great if you can talk to a lot of people, joi forums, or search the internet. In short, you should expand your network while searching for more information about the possible financial assistance.
- You should talk to the high school counselor to get more information and also guidance about the possible financial sources. Their job is to guide you and provide the required information – and they are supposed to guide you of which option will be perfect for you.
- You can always apply for FAFSA and fill it out. You need to undergo this stage because it is always asked for most grants and scholarships. Know the best way to fill it out, which is usually happening at the early January. This kind of application works on the first come first serve basis. All you have to do is to fill it out honestly, carefully, thoroughly, and on time
- Apply for as many grants and scholarships as possible. Don’t lose hope; do it continuously on the yearly basis – well, at least until you graduate from college.
In the end, you can decide whether you want to deal with the student loan, the regular scholarship, or the special grant. It is super crucial that you get the complete information about everything, including the requirements and the entire procedure. Only by doing so, you can learn about how to get free money for college 2018 properly.