How to Check Visa Gift Card Balance 2018 and the Overall Facts - Before learning about how to check Visa gift card balance 2018, don’t you think it would be better if you can learn about the basic concept of the card itself? A gift card is definitely different from the credit card but it can also be used for making payments. Because of its different nature from the credit card, you should differentiate its usage and implementation. It would be even better if you can understand its basic concept and function.
How to Check Visa Gift Card Balance 2018 and the Overall Facts
Understanding a Gift Card
It is basically a prepaid card that is used for payment, already containing a certain amount of money. The card is generally available for various e-payment transactions and purchases. Let’s say that you buy a gift card with the value of $300 – you probably have paid it $310 or even less than that on certain discounts or special events – that’s another story.
Your card has $300 worth of money, which means that you have ‘virtual money’ as much as $300. You can use it to buy anything you want. Supposed that you want to buy a new mixer that is worth $45. After the card is being used, then its value is $255. If you use it again to buy another item, then the money (or the balance) will be less and less until it reaches zero.
What’s the use of the gift card, anyway? Well, first of all, it is a legal method of payment, which means that you can use it to pay for your purchase. It provides payment alternative to your debit or credit card – and it is definitely different from using the cash. Second, the git card is mostly used as the gift – as the name states. If you want to give a present to someone and yet you don’t really know what to give them, this gift card will be the perfect option. You give them something with value, allowing them to buy the things they want on their own. It is simple, easy, and thoughtful.
Pros and Cons of the Gift Card
In the overall retrospect, such a gift card has its own pros and cons.
The pros are:
- Basically, the card can easily transfer ownership. It doesn’t require legal documentation or even title of ownership. Whether you want to use the card on your own or give it away, it is up to you
- It provides you with flexible options of your own. In fact, you have your own power in controlling the spending
- It is versatile – you can spend how much money kept in the card, depending on the value, naturally.
The cons include:
- The card is somewhat impersonal despite the flexibility
- You won’t be sure whether the recipient will appreciate your gift. Let’s say that you give a steakhouse gift card for your vegetarian friend. Imagine what they feel. Of course, this gift card can be great if you really know the details of the recipients –and you are sure that they will like it.
- A gift card will expire, for sure. Although this is a pretty rare case, some areas do have the gift card that will expire after some time.
- Some of the gift cards can have hidden fees
- Not all people think that gift card is useful – which leads to them not using the card at all. It means a waste of money in the end.
How to Check the Balance
Just like the credit card, the gift card does have its balance and there are several ways for you to check it. This will lead to the question on how to check Visa gift card balance 2018, especially if you are using the gift card from this provider.
There are two ways for you to do it:
- You can call the customer service, which is usually toll free, and ask for the balance. You only need to provide the numbers of your card and they should be able to tell you the remaining balance.
- You can always go to the company’s official website. For instance, if you are using Visa gift card, then go to official Visa site. If you are using Target gift card, then go to their official website. These companies usually have their own sections where gift card users can check the balance. You only need to provide the required information on the provided slots. And then you will be provided with the information.
What if you can’t find the number for the toll free service? You can call (866) 511-GIFT to check your balance. This number can be quite handy if the toll-free one isn’t working or you can’t find it.
It is advisable that you should know the initial balance of the card – it would definitely help if you know the value from the beginning. After making purchases, you should also check the card again and again. Tracking the balance can give you a clearer idea on how much money left in the card. And that’s the basic implementation on how to check Visa gift card balance 2018.
Using the Card
Now that you already know how to check Visa gift card balance 2018, how are you going to use the card, anyway? Well, first of all, you need to activate it first. If you are using Visa gift card, it is generally automatically activated when purchased so you can immediately use it without having to do anything else. However, not all cards are the same. Some still require activation. You just need to follow the provided instructions and directions.Before using it, make sure that you do these things:
- Sign the card (on the back) so no one else can use it.
- Note down the card’s number and keep it somewhere safe – any contact info of the issuer will be useful too
- Track the balance after every use.
- Don’t forget to register the card – which can be done through the website or call. When you buy something, you will have to provide the personal info. Don’t forget that your personal info – name, address, etc – should be similar to the ones you provide when registering the card
Even if the balance is drastically decreasing, don’t throw away the card. In the event that you will have to return a purchased stuff, you may need the card to make the return processing easier.
There are several circumstances when you will deal with special transactions and situations
- In the gas station. When you want to pay (by using the pump), insert the card and simply follow the directions. If you can’t complete the transaction, you may have to go inside. You can pay the attendant after filling the tank.
- When tipping. When you want to use the Visa card for tipping, the issuer may authorize the transaction with extra 20% higher than the bill.
- For car rental and hotels. Some hotels and car rental providers may want to use a credit card for reserving their service. During check in, they may ‘hold’ on your reservation so those funds won’t be available – at least for a temporary period of time.
All in all, it is up to you whether you want to go all those fuss and troubles to check the balance. But if you want to seriously track your spending and the balance, now you know how to check Visa gift card balance 2018, don’t you?